Make sure to check out international student updates, textbook information and more news below!
1. Graduation Class of 2010: CMU had a successful graduation for the 2010 graduating class. Our alumni base continue to grow as more and more students graduate from our undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Congratulations to all of our graduates and welcome to the CMU alumni family! Alumni from all class years are invited to order class rings. Click here for more information and to place your orders. Visit the Graduation Photo & Video Album to see video clips, photos, and other memorabilia from graduation!
2. CMU and Alliant International University Alliance: CMU and the Alliant International University's Marshall Goldsmith School of Management (MGSM) signed a partnership agreement to support both schools' undergraduate and graduate students. CMU students will be allowed to transfer their credits to Alliant International University and attend classes as part of the partnership agreement. Among other benefits, our international students will be able to attend the CMU San Diego campus while staying at Alliant International University's dormitories. This partnership benefits students from both universities by making resources and faculty from both schools available to all students.
3. CMU and Inoorero University in Nairobi, Kenya Collaboration : California Miramar University signed a collaboration to offer online degrees in Kenya through Inoorero University at a ceremony held on Tuesday, 13th July 2010 at Inoorero Centre. This is the first time in Kenya that students will be able to access online degree courses locally and have an opportunity to interact with their professors using online classroom technologies. CMU's online mode of learning allows students in Kenya to complete their coursework online at their convenience. Students have already started to take advantage of this corroboration. Prospective students may apply year round by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
4. English as a Second Language : ESL programs at CMU continue to expand. CMU will accept new international students into the FALL ESL program. The purpose of this program is to provide English to future students as well as professionals who wish to enrich their English communication skills. All courses are taught based on the communicative approach to language learning and each proficiency level is divided into five courses, focusing on basic grammar and writing, speaking, listening, reading and vocabulary. Visit English as a Second Language info page to learn more.
5. Doctor of Business Administration : The next cohort for the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) program at CMU is expected to start in April/May 2011. The Doctor of Business Administration program is designed to provide managers and leaders of organizations with a global perspective of business management and leadership which emphasizes the use of both practical and theoretical approaches. Core, Concentration, and Dissertation course syllabi are organized around this goal. The successful completion of class projects and assignments require research skills and the discovery of new knowledge as students search for solutions to problems in a changing environment.
6. Library Update: The online and print resources available in the CMU library continue to grow. This year we added a more robust online search platform hosted by Ebsco with thousands of full length articles. Librarian Kathy Parker is available for research consultations, advice, and guidance via email email@example.com , phone 858-653-3000 x160 or in person during regular library hours. CMU students and alumni all have access to the resources available at the CMU. Visit the library to learn more and explore all the resources available to you.
7. Success Profile: Annette Gregg, CMU MBA Class of 2010, was selected as the student speaker at the 2010 Graduation Ceremony. (Watch clips from Annette and other commencement speakers here.) Several months before graduation, Annette was recruited to become VP Sales and Marketing at Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau. Check out Annette's LinkedIn Profile to read more. Congratulations Annette on attaining this position!
8. Faculty Highlight: Sherri Petro, MBA was one of two faculty members awarded Outstanding Faculty member at the 2010 Graduation Ceremony. (See video clips of Sherri addressing graduates at graduation.) This award is selected by the graduating class. Sherri Petro is the President of VPI Strategies, a San Diego based management consulting firm, where she focuses on research, strategy and communications. Her mission is to assist organizations in becoming more sustainable by breaking down barriers, creating understanding and making connections. Sherri teaches Strategic Management at CMU. Read profiles of Sherri and other members of our distinguished faculty .
9. Institute for Leadership and Organizational Excellence: CMU is proud to announce the founding of the Institute for Leadership and Organizational Excellence (IFLOE). The institute will be the driving force behind CMU's corporate programs, academic research, and consulting. The institute's mission is to combine the latest in best business practices with the current knowledge in business, leadership and entrepreneurship to provide today's seasoned managers and leaders with tools and knowledge that will enable them to excel in the execution of their management and leadership responsibilities while at the same time adding value to organizations and the individuals.
10. International Textbook News: In order to better serve our international students, CMU has created a global partnership to offer textbooks for our students in their home countries.
Vietnam: CMU Students in Vietnam will be able to purchase Vietnamese language textbooks from McGraw Hill for the entire MBA program. CMU secured rights from McGraw-Hill to translate and publish the graduate textbook into Vietnamese. This project has been going on for over one year and the first textbook to be published is the Human Resource Management textbook and is currently available. Additional titles will be available soon. To order a copy of Human Resource Management in Vietnamese, email firstname.lastname@example.org . The same textbooks are also available in English in a select group of bookstores in both Hanoi and HCMC.
Kenya and East Africa: CMU Students in East Africa can now shop for textbooks at Gabby Books located at: OCCIDENTAL PLAZA 3RD FLOOR, SUITE 3A5A MUTHITHI ROAD, WESTLANDS NAIROBI TEL 254 20 3742834 or 5 3504870 3568352 WEBSITE www.gabbybooks.co.ke.
Other Southeast Asian Countries: CMU students in other Southeast Asian countries can order their textbooks from Singapore where the international editions of the textbooks are available. Questions should be directed to email@example.com
11. International Students: Starting the fall semester of 2011, CMU students in different countries will be able to attend part or all of their studies at the CMU San Diego campus. CMU will also be welcoming international students from many countries to San Diego for both degree programs and the ESL program. By being able to come to San Diego for part or all of the program, students will be able to take advantage of CMU's affordable tuition whether they are in their home country or they come to San Diego. Questions should be directed to the International Students Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.